“Blood pressure is important because the higher your blood pressure is, the higher your risk of health problems in the future.
D.K. The GOOD NEWS is we do have hope for changing our blood pressure numbers. I found the following info from www.bloodpressureuk.org
- Cut down on salt. This means eating more natural foods and fewer processed ones and not adding salt to foods or in anything your cook. Salt naturally raises your blood pressure, eating less will reduce this effect
- Increase the amount of fresh fruit and vegetables you eat each day. Aim to eat at least five, or better 7-9 portions a day. It’s also best to eat a variety of different fruits and vegetables. Fruits and vegetables contain potassium that counters the effect of salt and helps lower blood pressure.
- Drink alcohol only in moderation. Drinking more than the recommended limits over a long period will slowly raise your blood pressure.
- Increase your level of activity. Build in 30 minutes of moderate activity at least five times per week.. Being active not only gives your heart a good work out, but it also helps your arteries to stay flexible and better cope with the demands of daily life.
- Lose weight if you are overweight. Your doctor or nurse will be able to tell you your ideal weight. Excess weight puts extra strain on your heart and arteries.
“The good news is these changes really do work and will help to lower your blood pressure. The more changes you make, the more benefits you will gain and the greater the effect is likely to be on lowering your blood pressure. In fact, some people find that by sticking to a healthy lifestyle, they don’t need to take any medicines at all. For example, if you have a lot of weight to lose and are able to achieve this you may find you no longer need to take medicines.”…bloodpressureuk.org
D.K. You might want to check out these two suggestions that I read about.
Natalie Overstreet, Clinical Dietician with Trinity Mother Francis promotes the benefits of dark chocolate for protection against cancer and cardio vascular disease. “Dark chocolate has been proven to lower blood pressure; increase elasticity of blood vessels and decrease plaque on blood vessels. It also reduces inflammation in the body and can lower LDL or bad cholesterol.”
Not all chocolate is created equal. Researchers say the higher the percentage of cocoa the better it is for you. 70% or higher packs the best anti-oxidant punch. Anti-oxidants bind to free radicals (bad guys) that cause cell damage and keep them from destroying other cells.
As good as dark chocolate is for us, it does contain a lot of calories. It is best to stick to 1.5 oz to 3.5 oz a day and do not enjoy with milk. Milk will inhibit the amount of anti-oxidants your body can absorb from the chocolate.
Egg Whites Lower Blood Pressure
Some people eat egg whites to reduce the risk of heart disease and according to researchers at Clemson University- the peptide- a chemical compound containing two or more amino acids found in egg whites reduced blood pressure about as much as a low dose of a blood pressure drug.
Music and Laughter May Help Lower Blood Pressure
Study Suggests Music and Laughter Sessions May be Another Way to Reduce Hypertension….WebMD
Researchers at Osaka University in Japan set out to determine whether music and laughter interventions would reduce blood pressure in controlled groups.
After three months, researchers say blood pressure significantly decreased in both the music and laughter intervention groups.
Blood pressure was taken before and after each music or laughter session.
There WAS an impact on Blood pressure!
D.K. Here’s my take..We live in challenging times as the newscasts reminds us each day. The news can be stressful. However, there remains much in life to enjoy and appreciate. Let’s laugh whenever we can; it feels so healing and refreshing. Enjoy beautiful music…
I listen to relaxing music as I write. I want the development of this website to be enjoyable and not stressful . I want to be a difference maker…..Please leave a comment if anything you read on this website has touched your life in a positive way. I want only the best for everyone!!!!!
“Yesterday’s the past, tomorrow’s the future, but today is a gift. That’s why it’s called present.” Enjoy your day in peace and happiness!………Bill Keane